Skip to content
Services for Tax Professionals
Your State Tax Office!
- The big accounting firms (like PwC which I was a part of for many years) maintain a staff in Washington, D.C. to consult with on tough federal income tax problems. If you’re not in a big accounting firm, you may have affiliated offices with other firms in your network where you can locate a specialist. But neither a Washington National Office nor an affiliate office in another state is likely to be of much help with a state tax issue. That’s where I can help.
- The Washington, D.C. staff typically are folks who used to write rules and regulations for the IRS. I used to work for the Hawaii Department of Taxation and wrote rules and regulations for them when I was there.
Need a Second Pair of Eyes?
- If you’re an accounting firm or a law firm and your client comes to you with an issue important enough to want a written tax opinion:
- First, for your own peace of mind, you want a second, critical pair of eyes to look at the work.
- Second, there are strict requirements now imposed by Treasury Circular 230 (see especially section 10.35) upon all tax professionals regarding the form and content of a tax opinion that a client can rely upon for federal penalty protection.
Do You Have Clients That Could Use a Diagnostic Review?
- How can you be a god or hero in your client’s eyes? Find them an issue that nets them a decent refund.
- Even if you find an issue that looks bad, your client can at least plan for developing a good defense. If the revenue agency finds the issue first, they charge penalties and interest while you don’t.
Development of Additional Service Offerings
- I might be able to call your attention to certain fact patterns that I have seen before and found a solution for. We can then see if the solution works for some of your clients.
Tax Quality Control Program Reviews
- Does your practice have a tax quality control program? If not, you might consider developing one and I can help you do that. If you do, I can be an independent third party who can test compliance with the program you have.